Tuesday, February 15, 2011

technology and social interaction


While I believe that technology holds infinite possibilities to improve life as we know it, I do think that it has had and continues to have a negative impact on personal interaction and relationships.  I think that the widespread use of technological communication has cut down on face to face communication.  Because we can shoot a quick text or send a facebook message to someone to tell them something, we cut out important face to face interaction which is an important part of any personal relationship.  Also, with the use of technology, I believe there is a depersonalization of relationships.  Because we cannot see the person on the receiving end of a computer or cell phone, people are less likely to realize the importance of a message they are sending.  This can lead to the breakdown of a personal relationship or even cyber bullying.  Because the bully does not have to face the consequences of their actions on the other end of the computer, it separates one’s actions from their consequences.  Also, another aspect of technology that affects communication is the element of anonymity.  Because one can be anonymous more easily on the internet, people do not have to take as much responsibility for their actions online.  Because of this, people are more likely to speak out in hurtful ways which they would not necessarily do if they were in a face to face situation.  I think that technology and the internet enable humans to limit face to face interaction which I think is not a very good thing.  As humans we thrive on companionship and human interactions so I think that taking this technology to the extreme could be unhealthy.  However, I think the key to technology is moderation,  and when used in moderation, the advancements of today can be very helpful to everyday life.  As for meeting people online, I realize that my first reaction is not exactly fair.  I would say that I myself would never meet someone online, but with the success of sites such as match.com and eharmony, I realize that it is unfair to judge internet meetings.  While I am hesitant to support it because there are many crazy strangers out there on the internet, I know there are many normal people out there too.  Knowing that these internet sites have brought so many people together successfully proves that although there may be drawbacks to meeting people on the internet, there are many benefits and it enables people to connect with others that they would otherwise maybe not had the opportunity to meet.  While I do think that technology can be a useful tool, I think that the emphasis of relationships must remain on the real life interaction.  While technology makes it easier to meet people or communicate with others who are far away, I do not think that you can have a relationship without face to face interaction.  Therefore, while technology can supplement human interaction, I do not think it can take its place.

2 comments:

  1. You raised an interesting point on how communicating through a computer makes things anonymous which makes you doubt on the authenticity of the other person. So many people create social networking accounts with negative motives and it makes me sick to think that adults harass children and young teens. It’s a huge problem and unfortunately there have been many cases in which the victim is murdered or traumatized for life. On another note I find it interesting that you don’t share your opinion about online dating sites, but acknowledge that for some people it works. I personally wouldn’t use an online dating network to find people, but after reading over my post I realize that I was a bit too harsh on this subject. The only thing that worries me about these sites is that your first impression is through a computer and to me your first impression should be face to face. Lastly, the friends that I have on facebook who I don’t see are simply internet interactions, but those who I see are my real friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that face to face interaction is an essential way humans communicate. As a big believer in reading body language, I believe it is harder to trust someone that you meet virtually. Without actually seeing the person face to face a disconnect instantly emerges. I agree with you that social media and meeting people online is much less personal and I hope I won't have to attend meetings on second life because I would not feel as responsible for my actions in a virtual world. When it comes down to it, you talked about the importance of moderation and technology. I think moderation is critical to technology because technology and virtual world often act as outlets for people to escape the real world.

    ReplyDelete